(in honor of our sweet Dakota Lee pictured here at 11 years old)
Since November is National Adopt A Senior Pet Month, Lexi, Tallulah, Bailey and I wanted to take this opportunity to point out the top 10 reasons you should all consider adopting and older dog.
TOP TEN REASONS TO ADOPT AN OLDER DOG!!
1. Older dogs are housetrained. You won't have to go through the difficult stage(s) of teaching a puppy house manners and mopping up after accidents.
2. Older dogs are not teething puppies, and won't chew your shoes and furniture while growing up.
3. Older dogs can focus well because they've mellowed. Therefore, they learn quickly.
4. Older dogs have learned what "no" means. If they hadn't learned it, they wouldn't have gotten to be "older" dogs.
5. Older dogs settle in easily, because they've learned what it takes to get along with others and become part of a pack.
6. Older dogs are good at giving love, once they get into their new, loving home. They are grateful for the second chance they've been given.
7. What You See Is What You Get: unlike puppies, older dogs have grown into their shape and personality. Puppies can grow up to be quite different from what they seemed at first.
8. Older dogs are instant companions -- ready for hiking, car trips, and other things you like to do.
9. Older dogs leave you time for yourself, because they don't make the kinds of demands on your time and attention that puppies and young dogs do.
10. Older dogs let you get a good night's sleep because they're accustomed to human schedules and don't generally need nighttime feedings, comforting, or bathroom breaks.
To own an older dog....is priceless!
To learn more about the pleasures of older dog adoption, please visit the Senior Dogs Project site at
For our local shelters you can check out the following links:
The Salem Animal Shelter
The Roanoke Valley SPCA
Star City Greyhounds
Angels of Assisi Clinic - Roanoke
League for Animal Protection - Fincastle VA
I saw you had "Dale" posted.(2:14 on video) I've watched him a long time & wished he was at my farm. Thank you for sharing! I'm a huge advocate of older dog adoptions!ReplyDelete